The King’s Quarter of Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, referred to as “Upstreet” was established around 1764-1765. This historic neighborhood was initially called New Town or East Savan. Its historic footprint of 18th and 19th century private and government buildings and open spaces evolved over the last 250 years. It included the Hospital, School, Theater, Cricket/Parade Grounds, Churches, Cemeteries, Agricultural Grounds and a Public Square and Park.
In the Danish West Indies
The Jarvis School Building was built in the 1860s as a Military Hospital. Constructed by native masons and craftsmen, it later became a Communal School. – National Archives photo
Inside the classroom
Desks, slate boards and jalousie windows in Danish and early 20th century American era classrooms. After the 1917 Transfer and during the Naval Administration the school was named the Abraham Lincoln School. – National Archives photo
Learning about the world
Students in Charlotte Amalie with their teachers during the Danish West Indies era. The school, which was a part of the Virgin Islands school system until the late 20th century, was eventually named for revered Virgin Islands educator J. Antonio Jarvis who was a teacher and principal when it was known as the Abraham Lincoln School. – National Archives photo.
The King’s Quarter continues to be an important mecca and corridor for health, education, government services, sports, parks, and arts and entertainment for residents and visitors.
The In Search of Identity project will restore the Jarvis School property and adjacent structures and lots for the establishment of an Arts and Cultural Corridor. It will include the former Lodge, residences and community theater.